James River Railway and Riverboat Company

 

Timeline

 

1836      The James River Logging Railroad is chartered by the Royal Timber Corporation.

 

1837      Construction is started on a route from City Point, VA to Ridgeland, VA.

 

1838      Construction is complete.

 

1840      North Pointe Shipbuilding announced plans to build facility at City Point. 

 

1841   Royal Timber Corp. commissions North Points Shipbuilding to build three car ferries for logging operations near Port Elizabeth: The Virginia, The Appomattox, and The James River

 

1858      Norfolk & Petersburg Railroad begins operations.

 

1858      James River Logging Railroad extends to the Winterpock Mine and starts hauling coal.

 

1870    Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad forms on November 12 from the consolidation of the Norfolk & Petersburg Railroad and Virginia & Tennessee Railroad; included mainline trackage of 400 miles stretching from Norfolk, VA to Bristol at Tennessee state line.

 

1880     The Royal Timber Corp sold the James River Logging Railroad to independent investors and it becomes a common carrier changing its name to the James River Railway and Riverboat Company

 

1880     James River Railway and Riverboat Company announce plans for scheduled passenger service.

 

1880   James River Railway and Riverboat Company announce plans to upgrade ninety percent of the railroad’s physical plant and abandon one percent of total trackage.

 

1880    James River Railway and Riverboat Company announce plans to build a rail car shop in Highland Colony.

 

1881     Atlantic, Mississippi & Ohio Railroad is sold under foreclosure on February 9 to E. W. Clark & Co., and renamed Norfolk & Western Railroad.

 

1882   Partnership forms between James River Railway and Riverboat Company and the Farmville and Powhatan Railroad (F&PO) for interchange by car ferry.

 

1883     Partnership forms between James River Railway and Riverboat Company and the Atlantic and Danville Railway (A&D) for interchange by car ferry.

 

1885     Virginia Steel Company founded a company town named Bessemer located outside of Petersburg.

 

1885     North Pointe Shipbuilding announces plans to expand facility.

 

1886     Rail line between City Point and Petersburg is upgraded for additional capacity and tonnage.

 

1887     Partnership forms between James River Railway and Riverboat Company and the Surry, Sussex, and Southampton Railway (SS&S) for interchange by car ferry.

 

1890     The Winterpock mine and branch line were sold and became Winterpock Mining & Rail Road (WM&RR).

 

1899     Telephone system is installed as a means of traffic control.